The Official Website of the City of New York

Musician or Performer Permit

The City requires you to have a permit for some public performances.

You must have a permit to use a sound device such as a loudspeaker, megaphone, or stereo in a street performance. Sound Device Permits are available at local police precincts during business hours. The fee is $45. You do not need a permit for street performances without a sound device.

You must have a permit to perform in or next to a park. A permit is also required to host a special event, distribute fliers, or perform at the Staten Island Ferry terminals. Performance activities are not allowed on ferry boats.

The City coordinates subway performances through the Music Under New York (MUNY) program. MUNY selects performers by audition.

Apply to perform in a Staten Island Ferry terminal.

Apply to perform in a park.

Find your local police precinct to apply for a Sound Device Permit.

Audition to be a Music Under New York (MUNY) subway performer.


Is it legal to play music on the street?

Also Found In:

Transportation Getting Around Buses & Subways 

Business Business Assistance Licenses, Permits & Inspections 

Culture & Recreation Arts & Culture Permits